Sunday, January 27, 2013

Some Horse Magic


This morning I had a very special moment with Cheerio, the horse I just started to ride (she's the horse on the pictures of yesterdays post.) I played with her on her pasture. First we played the mirror game. It's exactly what it sounds like, you mirror each others movements. It's like a dance. I usually start copying what they do, to get their attention. There is no rope/halter or any kind of gear. It's more fun and challenging on a big, open space. Like a pasture.  As soon as I had her attention I switched focus and visualized her following my movements. She is a very intelligent and responsive horse. It didn't take her many seconds to understand what I wanted. Before I lost her attention I started to mimic her movements again. That went on, back and forth between us. It's a lot of fun! If you have a horse you should definitely try. (It's a good idea to establish a relationship/limits first. The horse have to respect your space before you can safely do this!)

After playing for a while I rode her freestyle (bareback and without a halter.) She's a little to skinny, but it's fun to play for a few minutes. 

This was early in the morning and when it was time for me to go inside and make breakfast I told her good bye and left. When I'm almost back at the house I hear the sound of a horse galloping very fast. I turn around just in time to see her charge at the fence, break through it and come after me. (This is a lady with a great respect for electric fencing. I checked the fence before leaving her, so I know that the electricity was strong.) She stopped next to me, put her muzzle on my neck and took a deep breath.

It's not good that she destroyed the fencing, but the feeling of her choosing to be with me was magical. 

I walked her over to a round pen, as a temporary solution. I checked her thoroughly and she wasn't injured, luckily. When I walked out she placed herself on the spot where I usually saddle her up before riding her, and called me back! Unfortunately I had to go home and make breakfast for my family. That girl really loves to work!

Today was the last day of my photography class. It's really sad!!
I enjoyed it so much. The last assignment was to take a
picture of our own reflection.
This is Cheerio, me and Whitey, this morning.


2 comments:

  1. Truly when someone doesn't understand then its up to other people that they will assist, so here it takes place.
    My web page : touch pro

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter if some one searches for his necessary thing, thus he/she desires
    to be available that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.


    my website :: crew.valkry.com

    ReplyDelete

I´d love to hear what you think about todays post. Did you relate to the topic?